The Tay Township Fire Department is urging everyone to pay special attention when cooking this holiday season.
Provincial statistics reveal that careless cooking is the number one cause of fires and the second leading cause of fatal fires.
“The hustle and bustle of the holidays can dramatically increase your risk of having a fire,” said Fire Chief Brian Thomas. “All too often, these fires are started by unattended cooking and, in many cases, alcohol is involved.”
Thomas also urges caution while smoking.
“Make sure smokers extinguish cigarettes in deep ashtrays and not in planters which may contain peat moss or shredded bark that can easily ignite,” said Thomas. “Ashes should be emptied in a metal container – not…