Before 1904, the eastern boundary of Midland was Thomas Street (now Russell Street). The early lumbering community of Dollartown was located directly east of the town’s eastern limit.
When John Dollar arrived in Midland in 1879, he built and operated the saw mill known as the Ontario Lumber Company, near today’s intersection of Bay Street and Aberdeen Boulevard. A series of “mill houses” were built for his workers. As the small town of Midland was growing, this area, east of today’s Russell Street, was annexed in 1904.
John Dollar also erected the first board sidewalk in Midland, running from his Hugel Avenue home,( corner of Fifth Street) down the hill to Knox Presbyterian Church.
Read more about Dollartown in the illustrated story “Dollartown – An industrious Early Community Near Midland” on the Huronia’s Past and Present site at: