This was the site of the coal dock along the shore of Bayshore Drive, below James Playfair’s mansion, Edgehill (present-day Edgehill Park), and close to the bottom of William Street.
The Midland Coal Dock was owned and operated by Playfair-White Associates. Starting in 1901, Coal, brought in by ships, was a source of fuel for ships and was also shipped by train. The crane was built in 1917 to ease the transfer process. By the 1930’s, fuel oil was overtaking coal as the preferred fuel. When the need for coal disappeared, operations shut down and in the early 1970’s the coal dock was dismantled.
Information and photo: Courtesy of the Huronia Museum
Photo: Courtesy of Ian Wilson’s Book, ‘Steam Memories of Lindsay’