GEORGIAN BAY FOREVER SUMMER AMBASSADOR 2018
Invasive Phragmites has been identified as the most destructive plant species and is one of the greatest threats to native biodiversity. Georgian Bay Forever is looking for 1 summer student for Tay Township in Georgian Bay to act as Ambassadors fulfilling the following roles and responsibilities:
Ambassadors will communicate with the public by undertaking dock or door visits to educate property owners and visitors on how to identify and eradicate invasive Phragmites on their coastal property. On some occasions Ambassadors will be required to safely navigate coastal waters to further the public education and environmental protection activities of Georgian Bay. Ambassadors will also map invasive Phragmites and organize community cutting activities primarily in the above areas. Additionally education around current initiatives being taken and discussed via other stakeholder groups such as Parks Canada, MNRF, MTO and The Ontario Phragmites Working Group and Ontario Invasive Plants Council will be disseminated, as well as handing out brochures re the community association to encourage membership. These activities will progress from education and mapping in the early summer, to recruiting and organizing volunteers in July and then to cutting activities in August. Ambassadors may also be required to transport GBF University research teams to various sites around the area.
Contract dates: This entry-level full-time contract position will begin June 19th and end August 31st, 2018. Some flexibility on start and end dates.
Skills and Competencies Required:
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
• Must be competent with marine navigation and charts and how to operate GPS systems, or good knowledge of the coastal waters of Georgian Bay especially the above noted areas.
• Working knowledge of Sonar equipment and Chartplotters an asset. Training will be provided.
• Access to a personal boat in the area would be an asset.
• Must have good interpersonal skills and competently represent the community association and Georgian Bay Forever.
• An Environmental Sciences or related education is an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to manage time and co-ordinate community activities.
• Comfortable public speaker and be able to make public presentations.
• Must be available to work weekends.
• Have a cell phone capable of running the EDDMaps Android based software app.
• Be in good physical condition and able to operate manual and powered cutting tools.
• Be confident in the water and a competent swimmer with an excellent knowledge of water safety practices.
• Keep excellent records and documentation on all activities, participants, and provide reporting on activities, and map and find co-ordinates of invasive plant stands.
Based on the applications received and the experience level, one applicant may be charged primarily with education and communication, while the other ambassador will focus on operations and power tools.
To apply: GBF is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team for the summer, please forward your résumé, cover letter and salary expectations, in a single pdf, indicating “Summer Ambassador Tay” in the subject line to Georgian Bay Forever via e-mail: [email protected]. Please send your application today for our consideration. We thank everyone who applies for their interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.