The SIU (Special Investigations Unit) has been called in to probe circumstances surrounding the death of a male at Pete Petterson Park in Midland. Details are being made public when the SIU feels it is advisable. So at this point much of what has been made public in some circumstances is rumour; it is our intent to update our readers when either the SIU or our police department makes that kind of available to the general public via the media.
The Midland Police are prohibited by law from commenting on an SIU investigation.
The SIU’s lone press release on the matter is:
- Shortly before 5:00 p.m. on June 1, a Midland Police officer spoke on the telephone to a suspect in an investigation.
- Not long after, police received a distress call.
- Just before 6:00 p.m., the body of a 45-year-old man was discovered inside Pete Petterson Park, at 156 Marina Park Avenue.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.